05 October 2013

Scrappy Postage Stamp Pillows


I've long admired postage stamp quilts, and love how you can use up and feature favorite scraps! While a whole quilt is a bit daunting, when I got a request for some pillows with the same feeling as my scrappy hexie pillow, I thought postage stamp blocks would be an easier way to get the same look.

While I love the results, that "easier" idea was somewhat misguided.




"After all," I thought, "I could use a machine to piece the squares together!" I picked out some of my favorite fabrics, finding most of what I needed from scrap bags.


288 2" squares later, I wasn't so sure about my design choices.  While chain piecing was a breeze, cutting took SO MUCH time.  Finding fabrics, counting to make sure I had enough, pressing scraps, and cutting out individual squares was much more time consuming than I anticipated.


Once stitched up, I quilted the pillows in a tight grid along the seam lines, and added a tiny white flange for fun.  The edges and the envelope closure in back are bound with a half-inch red and white stripe, echoing the carefree and bright postage stamp style.

All that cutting--worth it!


Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. So pretty ~ I love putting together little squares too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the work you did and it looks great. The binding is PERFECT choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cushions. I use a Sizzix to cut my squares, it really speeds things up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pillows are gorgeous! Worth all the work for sure. And I love your binding too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hola Anna!Yo soy la molesta que le solicito que pusiera un botón para seguirla por correo electrónico .Al tiempo largo le comente que no recibo sus boletines y usted amablemente me dijo que la siguiera por otras redes.Pero soy vieja y solo investigo otras redes para ver mis hijas adolescentes ,que muestran ,que dicen,con quienes se contactan,etc
    Pero Aleluya Anna! recibí su boletín ,llego por un cable al centro de la ciudad de Buenos Aires ,en el hemisferio sur ,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your pillows! I am such a fan for little patchwork scrappy squares. I cut many of mine with a June Taylor shape cut, goes pretty quickly. Love your color choices!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, nice to see you! Sorry about the word verification but I've been flooded with spam messages recently. Thanks for commenting!